Monday, February 1, 2010

D-Day

It was exactly 5 years and 5 days ago that I last laid eyes on him.  Tired and dirty from a long day of work, albeit the ever-present twinkle in his eye illuminating his smile.  He requested that I bring home some dinner, and since I was without cash and tired I turned him down.  Instead, rustling up ingredients and throwing them together, calling it a meal.  French-bread pizza, and it was surprisingly good.  We sat on the back porch after eating, DMB playing loudly and the wind blowing causing the motion-sensor floodlight to come on and go off.  I honestly can't remember what we talked about, but I recall a moment when he turned to the side and stretched.  I had a flash for an instant and wondered if he would look like his dad when he got older.
Five days later.  Car, tree, flames.....he was gone.  I trembled but I did not cry.  The tears came upon waking the next day and lasted for months.  As I write now they return.
His girlfriend found me at the funeral home.  We escaped the crowd and went outside to have a smoke together.  They say all things happen for a reason.  It didn't seem obvious at the time, but looking back I have much clearer vision. Some events link you to other people despite the past and regardless of things that may happen in the future.  You walk through the fire of hell together, still holding hands when you come out the other side.  All events that follow seem to solidify the bond.  Before long, you know this person so well inside and out that even the simiplest look can take the place of words.  You know exactly the thought, the feeling and they know the look you give them in return. 
On the 5th anniversary of our D-Day, I look into my Monty's eyes and she's right there with me, holding my hand once again.

melodia

2 comments: