Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Yellow Brick Road

As the Mayor approached me with his beady-eyed grin and open arms, a fondness exploded in my heart.  I smiled wide as I wrapped my arms around him in an intenful, warm hug.  So, he's not the mayor anymore. I'm not who I was anymore.  Things change, and it's all good.
The Mayor came along in a time in my life when almost all things were running short - money, time, luxury and pride.  I had no idea he was the Mayor at the time.  I just knew he was the owner of an old, run-down building that for some reason I found myself drawn to.  I was working two full-time jobs at the time, production and design for two companies.  When I found some spare time, I would just get in my car and ride around discovering new places (as I still do).  I happened across this building and I just felt like I had to have it for my art studio.  I asked around and found out the owner had an office not far from the building, and I went directly to call on him.  He looked at me like I was half-crazy when I told him my dream of renting his building.  All I asked for him to do was to add electrical and plumbing and I would do the rest.   I nearly begged, but he laughed and shook his head, and I shrugged my shoulders telling him I'd see him next week.  For weeks to come, I stopped by his office every friday after work asking to rent his building.  I can't honestly remember how long it was before he gave in, but he did.  Somewhere along the line, I learned that he was the Mayor of the town and as much as it surprised me, in another way it didn't surprise me at all.
Three years later, the Mayor decided I needed to buy the building. After going through a pretty nasty divorce and completely wrecking my credit, I could see no way this could happen.  I confessed my credit sins to the Mayor and he cosigned my note.
I miss that old building, even the trains that ran hourly and blared their horns on the track just out the front door. The inside was like a giant canvas, painted from top to bottom.  My backyard was a parking lot where we spent quite a few evenings grilling out on a hibachi grill.  I also kinda miss being the weird artsy girl with the Shar-Pei walking on the tracks. 
Upon further thought, I feel incredibly nutty and lucky all at the same time. I'm pretty sure that was the message from the Mayor tonight as he kissed me on the head.

melodia

2 comments:

  1. did i mention how awesome i think you are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey hey hey whats with the 'weird artsie gurl' shit ?? lmao ....

    and ditto what val said :-)

    ReplyDelete