Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I Believe In You

Family.  You are either born into it or you build your own.  My genetic family consists of my dad, for whom I am incredibly grateful.  He is a constant reminder of persistance, kindness, of good and laughter.  The rest of my family, I spent a lifetime gathering - here and there. Friends who have become so intertwined in my life, that the description 'friend' just doesn't cut it.

These are the friends with whom I share pizza in the hottub at sunset.  The friend who teaches me how to use an axe to split wood into kindling.  (Yeash)  The friend who doesn't mind if I beat her shamelessly in a game of cards.  The friend who is willing to brave the Korean Sauna with me.  The friend who makes sure I am not alone when I face tough times.  I'm no where near done, but you get the point.

So, I have this window card one of my friends gave me at Christmas time.  She gave me two and I opened one immediately, saving the second for a day when I needed some extra inspiration.  On the front, it reads "I Believe In You".  I popped it open this morning, as I was facing a day I was feeling uneasy about.  The words couldn't have been more perfect.  "The easiest thing to be in the world is you.  The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be."  -Leo Buscaglia

I forgot to mention the window card when we were catching up on the phone tonite.  But, she knows.  She knew when she gave it to me.  That's why she's my family.

So pay to ride the ferris wheel
Smile, all that you can feel
Is gratitude for what has been
-Conor Oberst

melodia

No comments:

Post a Comment