Monday, January 4, 2010

Unless It Kicks


It's 7:45 pm, and two glasses of Dr. Jebidiah Drinkwells later I am incredibly happy. Why? Because I hung my 2010 calendar and it makes me smile, and laugh and run around the house blurting useless information - acting smarter and more informed than any of the other occupants of the house. That makes me happy. Inconsequestial bits of useless information....one of the many things that makes me happy. It has nothing to do with the wine....honest.


My favorite pizza place made a calendar and it's quite possibly the coolest thing of 2010. Mellow Mushroom and I go way back to the days of my childhood, bare feet, hippies, love and damn good rock'n'roll. (All you need, really.) Every birthday dinner, my choice was Mellow Mushroom. The last day of school was celebrated at Mellow Mushroom, and every adolescent sorrow was eased by the comfort and pure love of Mellow Mushroom. There was a toilet by the front door with a live, growing plant in the bowl. Is there anything that could make a person happier? Mellow Mushroom had Pac-Man and smelled like incense and all the employees wore shoddy clothes and bandanas and had either long hair or dread locks. Mellow Mushroom was and always will feel like home.


Today's Mellow Mushroom is much more modern, and has expanded into a chain. Now, I live in the boon docks and have a serious drive ahead of me for what I consider quality cuisine. There are a few places within 15 miles or so that I truly love and have excellent food, but they are few and far between. I'm pretty sure it was just for me that Mellow Mushroom bought a really cool old house less than 20 miles from me and opened a fancy pizza joint. The house was formerly a landmark fine-dining restaurant that had been operating for nearly 30 years and has closed. It was uber fancy for this area and now it's an uber-fancy Mellow Mushroom. I have no idea how I manage to luck-up, but I do quite often. All I can say is I must be living right.


And now, there's a Mellow Mushroom calendar. Just when I thought life couldn't get any better. There will not be one single day in 2010 that I won't at least smile at my calendar. Elvis' birthday is coming up on the 8th of January and Jimmy Page (from Led Zeppelin in case you don't know) was born on Jan 9th in 1944. Be sure to get your birthday card in the mail for Rob Zombie so it arrives by the 12th, and don't forget to wear your hat on the 15th for Hat Day. Add popcorn to the shopping list so you can celebrate Popcorn Day on the 19th, and get your arms in shape for World Hug Day on the 21st. There's also Kazoo Day on the 28th and Yad Sdrawkcab(read it backward) on the 31st. Oh...happy Trivia Day, which is today :)

2 comments: