Monday, January 11, 2010

Je T'aime

My problem is not that I don't like anything. My problem is that I like almost everything. I don't have a favorite color. I don't have a favorite song. I don't have a favorite scent. I love photo-realistic to impressionistic and even modern art. I love yarn as much as I love paint. I love digging in the dirt as much as I love baking cookies.I love broken, chipped pieces of indian pottery as much as I love Czechoslovakian crystal buttons. I don't know if this is a healthy mental state or if it's eccentric. I just is.

I love purple for it's mystery, seduction and warmth. I love yellow for it's warmth, vividness and cheerfulness. I love squares for their symmetry, for their equality. I love spirals because they look like they are spinning out-of-control. I love cold, hard, shiny stainless steel. I love a warm, cozy mohair sweater. I love the smell of fresh cut grass on a hot summer day as much as I love the smell of wood burning in the dead of winter.

I love Patty Griffin for her soulful voice, and for the ability to belt out heart-wrenching lyrics with no abandon. I love Neko Case for her "my give a damn just got up and left" approach to lyrics and song, as well as for her haunting voice. I love the Killers for their orchestral masterpieces that meld punk with classic rock, tossed in with just the right amount of blues and even a bit of drama and suspense. I love Angus and Julia stone because they are pure, raw music, emotion and soul....simple. I love K.I.A. and Shinjuku Zulu for the complexity and technicality of their beats and sound, for their creative ability to bring sounds and voice together in a kooky sort of way that just 'works'. I love Carla Bruni for her grace, and her soothing voice singing words in french that I barely understand. I love lyrics, I love beats, I love to hearfingers dance across strings or keys.

I love the vibe, the energy - some call it spirit or soul. The feeling I get when I look at something, when I touch something, when I hear a song. I guess it's the feelings more than the tools. I'm in love with feelings.

melodia

2 comments: